Saturday, January 20, 2024

Scarf with Unique Yarn

While I was at the yarn shop I fell in love with a really unique, sort of wild-looking ball of yarn and bought it to make a scarf for myself. I coupled it with a moss green sock-weight yarn called 'Fennel', warped at 110 ends in a 10 dent reed, just over 8' long.

The colors turned out much more muted than I expected, a bit disappointing at first but the finished scarf is beautiful. I should have moved the first length I wanted on the stick shuttle into a ball first, then onto the shuttle which meant that - even though I did that with subsequent lengths - I basically connected what was the very start of the ball to what came next mid scarf instead of taking advantage of the full flow intended when the yarn was created. I ended up with a bit of an awkward, longer green space on the scarf that I'm glad isn't near the end. I'm learning! 

The yarn ball was prettier before I used half of it - wish I would have taken a photo sooner.

Closeup on the loom


Closeup after wet finishing


It's hard to see but I added a double length of weft yarn to each 4 warp, moving left to right burgandy, red, tan, green, yellow - it doesn't show a lot but adds a bit of sparkle.




No comments:

Post a Comment